Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Designing and Delivering

Blog 9: What aspects of the Engage phase do you feel most and least confident about?  
Describe an "aha" moment you had this week, if any.

Booth's Engage phase comprises designing materials and delivering instruction.  When I think about it, it's interesting that my confidence levels with each of these two aspects have swapped over the course of my teaching career.  When I began teaching so many years ago, I felt like I was on the cutting edge of technology.  Newly hired, I was one of few teachers in my department who was competent with computers.  While many of my colleagues were still using (believe it or not) mimeographed worksheets, I was creating word processed instructional materials that had more appeal and clarity for students.  I could even make a transparency of my materials for the overhead projector as a visual aid for my lectures.  Time has passed, of course, and the mimeographing teachers have retired and been replaced with younger, more tech savvy teachers, and I have had to work to keep up.

As tech tools became more and more accessible, I noticed that students appeared much more engaged with my colleagues' powerpoint presentations, prezis, and interactive apps than my transparency projector and handouts, and I knew I had to make the switch.  However, I have also realized that using technology to create instructional materials doesn't necessarily mean they are effective.  I have been guilty of overloading slides with too much information or not using very effective design, and I know that even if the presentation looks good, it doesn't necessarily mean that the material is well organized or clear.  I still work hard to incorporate the latest technology into my instructional design, but I also sometimes make the conscious choice to draw on the whiteboard instead of using my SmartBoard, or tell students to take out a pencil and paper instead of logging into their computer.

On the other hand, the aspect of delivering instruction has gotten easier over the years.  As a new and  inexperienced teacher (and not much older than my students), I lacked confidence and struggled to assert my authority over the class, and the class responded exactly the way you would expect a class to respond.  I had little control over or respect from my students.  After several really negative classroom experiences, I realized I had to create a more effective teaching persona.  Booth talks about the importance of being authentic, and I agree.  I am not super energetic, loud, or funny.  I wish, sometimes in front of the classroom, that I were.  I work with some "rock star" teachers who seem to have almost a cult of students who follow them.  I am not that person.  But, I am super passionate about my subject (aka "nerdy"), very mothering, and flexible.  And I make that work for me.  I'm not afraid to be "weird", and I can even crack my students up once in awhile.  I try to stay relevant (which is easier right now because my own children are the same age as my students), but also I assume that I'm not.  I have very few problems with discipline; I can't remember the last time I sent a student down to the office, and I truly credit finally having developed a solid teaching persona for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment