Saturday, February 15, 2014

Thing 2: Mobile Device Tips

Okay, so I definitely have a lot to learn about the features on my iPad and iPhone!  Also, I have realized during this task that I am a very visual learner and do much better by watching videos than reading through text.

I'm sure there are many more tips and tricks that I don't know, but here are some of the top ones I discovered:

1.  Tapping twice on the home button will allow you to see all of the pages that are open.  Once you can see the pages, you can swipe them up to close them.  I had no idea, and had lots and lots of pages open.

2. Under settings > general > accessibility, I changed my text to bold on both devices.  It's not a huge difference, but I like the display better.  I also put a dynamic wallpaper on my iPhone home screen.

3.  I learned some Siri tricks.  If you ask Siri to find images of things, she will.  More impressively, Siri knows what people are saying on Twitter.  If I ask her, "What is NPR saying?" she can access my NPR Twitter Feed and display the most recent tweets.  

4.  Other cool things:  In the compass icon, there is a level.  This will come in handy the next time I'm hanging a picture and cannot find my level!  I also added the Emoji* Emoticon keyboard.  settings > general > keyboard > add new keyboard > emoji.  I can now find pictographs of pretty much anything. 

*Interesting fact:  "Emoji originated in Japan and is a set of pictographs such as smileys. The Emoji keyboard offers a wide variety of icons that can be read by any device that supports the Emoji character set." http://www.wikihow.com/Enable-the-Emoji-Emoticon-Keyboard-in-iOS





1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the directions to install the emoji keyboard. I missed the information about emoji when I did that particular Thing (I can't remember which one it was now), but I learned about it from reading Becca's blog. Now I can actually use it!

    ReplyDelete