Monday, February 17, 2014

Thing 4: Keeping Up

I really love the Common Craft videos!  The presenter did a great job of explaining RSS feeds.  Instead of going out to all of the individual blogs and news sites you like to see if there is any new content, RSS feeds allow the new content to come to you via a reader.   The analogy of going to a video store vs. movies being mailed from Netflix is really helpful.

Alas, their recommended Google Reader is no more.  After it announced it would be discontinued last July, I decided to import my feeds to a reader called Feedly (www.feedly.com).  It was really easy to switch everything over, and I have been very happy with Feedly.  I have different categories set up and various blogs in each one.  Adding subscriptions on Feedly is also easy as it will find most of their RSS feeds by name.

For this assignment, I downloaded Flipboard.  I love it!  I added my Facebook and Twitter pages and some of my favorite blogs.  I really like how it displays the pages, like a magazine spread.  I also like the "build your own magazine" feature.  Just by clicking the + on individual stories or blog plots you can add them to any magazine that you've created, sort of like pinning on Pinterest, but with more content.

Personally, I really like the way this app lets me see all of the content I want to see easily, and I've put this app on my bottom user bar as well.  In terms of classroom use, it might be an interesting assignment for students to create and share their own magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment