Monday, May 19, 2014

(Oops--this one is out of order) Thing 10: Sharing Photos

As I said, I often only share photos on my Facebook page, or send them in an email.  I do also have Flickr account that is set to a private mode for friends and family only. For this Thing, I logged back into my Instagram account (where I have only one photo posted) and grudgingly added the infamous SnapChat to my phone. Though I did "snapchat" once with a friend, I honestly don't think I will use either again any time soon.  Still, I am glad to know about them and how they work.

As a side note, last week, I took my 12th grade English class to the computer lab and had them Google their name, then click on images.  Some students found only a couple photos of themselves, but the majority of the class was shocked at the number of images that appeared.  A couple of the female students were downright distraught to find photos of themselves that they found unflattering and/or inappropriate.  One girl had tears in her eyes as she asked how to erase these, and I had to tell her that she couldn't.

I have to say I was sort of shocked that so many students had never thought to do this, and it was a great lesson for them.  Not only should they be wary of who is taking and posting pictures of them, but they should be careful to get permission from others.  By the way, there is only one picture of me out there on a Google search, and an unflattering one at that, taken at an awards ceremony by the MLIS department and subsequently posted on their blog.  I know I am going off on a tangent here, but I think we just have to be careful as school librarians as we potentially post pictures of students on our library website's and such that we do have permission and that we think about the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment