Monday, May 19, 2014

Thing 12: Books, Books, and More Books

Speaking of audio books waiting list frustration, I am excited to learn about the free Audiobooks app! I downloaded this app onto my phone and in the genre section, found Teen and Young Adult.  It looks like most of the selections are classic/public domain texts like Anne of Green Gables and Heidi.  I listened to a bit of the free versions of Anne of Green Gables and Gulliver's Travels.  There were fine recordings with good readers.  I wonder how much of a difference the "upgrade" would make, but I wasn't willing to spend any money to find out.  Certainly this app will not help me stay current with the latest teen fiction, but I can see it being useful in the classroom as a free aid for students studying classic literature, or for car rides with my own kids.

I also installed YALSA's Teen Book Finder.  It is helpful app, especially on a mobile device.  It provides you with today's hot picks, and search menu by title, author, genre, year, award, and booklist.  You can add books to your favorites page as well.  I can see this being a very helpful tool when helping students with what to read next.  I especially like the search by genre feature.  Of course, it won't be linked to the Destiny catalog, but it is just another tool to help me provide titles and authors to students, and for them to search it by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment