Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Thing 21: Free-For-All

One of the things I struggle with about having my English students go paperless is the loss of creativity in mapping ideas.  How does one draw a web on an iPad?  This is what interested me about the app Inspiration Maps (https://www.graphite.org/app/inspiration-maps).  It got good ratings on Graphite from both the users and teachers.  Here is what one teacher had to say about the app:

"Inspiration is a great tool for students! This free app is a nice way for students to create their own diagram to show their thinking and learning that's taken place. The only limitation that I can see is the sharing feature. Diagrams can be printed or emailed with the free version. It would be nice to have the Save to Photos feature included with the free version instead of only the full version. You can always take a screen shot of whatever has been created.

Students who have had experience using the program, Inspiration, should be able to use this app with no trouble. They can choose to create their own diagram or they can choose from a variety of templates. Ideas can be added with text boxes and pictures. Ideas can be linked together using arrows. Students can select options to change the shape, style, text and diagram as it appears on the screen. They move from the picture view to the writing view in order to expand on the ideas created in their visual diagram"

When I opened the app, I discovered 36 sample maps, plus an option to upgrade. I tried out one template for a KWHL activity that I actually used with students this week as we are studying the historical background of Iran in preparation for our study of Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel Persepolis.  It was easy enough to use, I could fill in the bubbles with text, add more bubbles, and move them around easily.  I don't think it is a groundbreaking app that will change the way I teach, but I can see using it with a 1:1 iPad class.


No comments:

Post a Comment