Monday, May 19, 2014

Thing 20: Games

All right, fine!  I will play you, Candy Crush.  Isn't it bad enough that I am addicted to Scrabble, Words with Friends, and Ruzzle?  I've heard all about you, and been warned not to go there, but I'm almost at 23 Things, so here goes the download...

Okay, so I made it past level one and am moving on, but honestly, I'm still not sure what I am doing.  I understand that I have to swipe the candies to get 3 or more in a row before the board shifts, right? But I definitely need more practice than I have time right now.

I also spent time looking at the Game Ratings for Age and Content App.  As a teacher, school librarian and parent of 4 teenage boys, this is a helpful site to know about! I like that you can search by game name, platform, and content.  There are over 30,000+ ratings for games and besides the rating, I like that the reviews will point out specific content categories that may be concerning.  Last fall, I did some research on Common Sense Media's Graphite which reviews apps and games as well.  I'm glad these sites exist, but I also believe that conversation with kids about what is appropriate and why is much more beneficial than simply banning a game because of a rating.

Okay, now back to Candy Crush...

No comments:

Post a Comment