Monday, May 19, 2014

Thing 8: Social Media Management Tools

I am not super active on social media, so I really don't have a need for an app to manage what little activity I have.  I am on Facebook, but mostly it's a personal endeavor, just to keep up with old friends, and I haven't been posting much lately.  I did decide, however, to download the Twitter app to my phone, and though I previously had an account, I had never actually Tweeted something before this semester.  Now I am up to a whopping 8 Tweets, and have 9 followers (though I actually do not know a couple of them).

Twitter is just a weird thing that I am trying to get a handle on.  I know that most of my students are much more active on Twitter than they are on Facebook, and certainly the library community is alive and well there.  I added lots of school and other librarians to follow and I have been enjoying their updates and snippets of their conversations with each other.  For instance, last Saturday, I noticed that lots of librarians were tweeting from the GAFE conference that was here in the cities.  I had not known about it, but it was interesting to read their tweets and follow their links to some of the presentations.  I also get a kick out of following some YA authors on Twitter as well.  John Green and Rainbow Rowell are especially active and funny.  I'm not sure if they mean it this way, but it is a great marketing strategy.  As for my own tweets, I struggle a bit with what to say, since so few people follow me.  But, I am approaching it as a professional tool alone, and not tweeting about my personal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment