Monday, May 19, 2014

Thing 17: Connecting to Community

I really had no idea there were so many community apps out there!  Personally, I am interested in so many of these.  The first app I downloaded was the MPR Radio.  I subscribe to podcasts of some of the  radio shows on MPR, but I didn't realize how easy it is to just stream it on my phone.  As I tested it out, I launched right in to Terri Gross interviewing Louis C.K. Normally, I don't get to hear Terri unless I am driving late while her show is on, but it is great that I can just sit on my couch and listen to her!

Next, I explored Minnesota 511.  I thought it was funny that as I installed it, a dialog box came up urging me to Be Safe and asking, "Do you agree to not use this application while driving."  I did agree, and a map with lots of red and yellow warnings came up.  So many so, that I could not even see the map.  It must be spring in Minnesota!

I was tempted to install the Minnesota State Fair app, but I will wait until that is more topical.  Instead, the last app I explored was the Going Out from Star Tribune App.  This is a great resource for events in the Twin Cities.  The menu includes categories like movies, restaurants, music, events at the Guthrie, and Best Bets. I can see myself using this frequently.

All in all, this category is great for me personally, and though I may not keep many of the apps I am trying on my phone long term, these definitely will stay.  I also see potential for using these community apps with students.  I think it would be interesting to give them this list and see which of the apps appeals to them the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment