Monday, May 19, 2014

Thing 11: Library and Reference

I think it is really smart for ELM and the county libraries to develop phone apps, and I'm sure this is a Thing that I can definitely use with students.  I downloaded the Hennepin County Library mobile app onto my phone and I find it very user friendly.  It is easy to check my account and search the library catalog.  I also downloaded Overdrive for audio books.  One of my definite "growth areas" is catching up on popular YA books.  There are so many good ones to recommend to students, and so little time for me to read them!  In order to maximize my reading time, I bought an iPod just for audio books in the car.  It is easy to find audio books on the Hennepin County Library page, download them via Overdrive, and listen during my commute time.  So far, I have listened to Caprice Crane's Confession of a Hater and Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races. The only problem, of course, is that these books are often "checked out" and so I am relegated to the waiting lists for new and hot releases.

Unfortunately, though our school library does have CDs of books to check out, we do not subscribe to Overdrive.  I'm not sure how much it is, but I do think that more students would be interested in checking out audio books if they were available in a digital format.  I'm not sure how many know about the county library's selection, but it is something worth promoting.

No comments:

Post a Comment