Monday, May 19, 2014

Thing 15: Infographics

At first I was really frustrated by, but then came to appreciate an assignment last semester in my MLIS class to create an infographic.  Though many of the students had seen them, very few of us had actually created one.  There are several free programs out there, and I think I tried each of them to see which was easiest.  The verdict was that they all had their strengths and I wished that I could have combined the best features from all of them.

For this Thing, I explored info.Graphics.  This app, though, is not about creating infographics, but just having access to many of them.  It is intended simply for content interest, I think, but I can see using this site as inspiration/models for students creating their own infographics. I looked at a couple: The Mobile Lives of College Students and Breakdown of a Person's Google Results.  Both were well done. Most of the infographics appear to be directed towards the business world and marketing trends.  They were a bit hard to see on my iPhone.  Probably, this app would be more effective on an iPad.  I would definitely consider having my own students create an infographic in place of a traditional research paper, poster, or presentation.  They are on trend at the moment, and as we are becoming more and more visual learners and thinkers, I believe they are here to stay as an effective way to present information.


No comments:

Post a Comment